I have decided on the date. 6th May 2017.
It seems a small thing to decide, but it changes everything. Before deciding the date it was going to happen sometime, and that was okay, kind of woolly, no pressure. Now, well now I realise I need to plan a whole lot more carefully. I need to prepare. Mentally, Physically, Financially and Materially.
So now I am getting myself organised, and will flesh out the bare bones of a plan that I have so far over the next 11 weeks. 11 weeks! heck!
The plan as it stands;
Daily Distance – apx 20miles
Overnight -Wild Camping
Carry – Up to 18 Kg (about 40 pounds)
( I told you it was basic)
Now on to my 4 To Do lists
- Physical To Do over next 3-4 weeks
- Up daily walking to 10 miles 5 days a week
- Up Weekend walking to 15 miles minimum
- Increase pack weight to 10 Kg
- Financial To Do over next 3-4 weeks
- Keep saving up (waterproof fivers!) aim to have £500 by end of March
- Upgrade Bank card to contactless
- Material To Do over next 3-4 weeks
- Create a detailed list of what I will need
- Check off against the list as each item is tested in the field
- Continual assessment
- Mental To Do
- Research the route
- Research points of interest near the route
- Get familiar with the plan
- Get familiar with the gear
I think that the main focus for the next week will be increasing my fitness, (10 miles is 20,000 steps) and spending some time getting the route detailed.
The maps arrived this morning, Its a start.
“A journey of a thousand miles starts with the first step”
In my case the journey of 268 miles starts with 20,00 steps a day for 4 weeks! There may be some moaning about bloomin’ outdated Chinese proverbs to come before I set off